RE-Roof by Homeowner
When re-roofing your home, you will be required to obtain a building permit. Roofing permits are usually issued by the city in which the property is located.
Each city differs, so we recommend contacting your city building department to find what is required in order to submit a permit application. For unincorporated areas, contact your county building department.
For your convenience, listed below are direct links to several of the local city building department web sites.
|Boca Raton||Boynton Beach||Coral Springs|
|Davie||Deerfield Beach||Delray Beach|
|Pembroke Pines||Plantation||Pompano Beach|
|Sunrise||Tamarac||W. Palm Beach|
We understand how confusing a permit application can be to the average homeowner. In effort to assist you, below we provide easy to follow step by step instructions for filling out your application. To make this easier to follow along, we recommend printing a copy of the
Florida Building Code Edition 10 – Permit Application Form.
PERMIT APPLICATION ASSISTANCE – Florida Building Code Edition 2010
Permit Application – Florida Building Code Edition 2010 – Section A
This will be the easiest section, as it is general in nature:
- Master Permit # and Process #should be left blank.
- Contractor’s Nameis to be “Homeowner”
- Roof Categoryshould be marked “Asphaltic Shingles”
- Roof Typeis self explanatory. Most will use “Reroofing”, meaning they will tear off the existing roof and apply a new one. “Recovering” will be used if you intend to cover the existing shingles with another layer.
- Roof System Information is simply asking for the square footage of roof to be done. Low Slope refers to flat roofs, while Steep Slope refers to sloped areas. Combine the two figures for Total SF.
Permit Application – Florida Building Code Edition 2010 – Section B
Sketch an arial view of your roof, including all measurements, levels, ridges and valleys.
Permit Application – Florida Building Code Edition 2010 – Section D
There are several areas to this page, and it is the most critical to get correct. Let’s tackle it one section at a time:
- Roof System Manufacturer: This is the brand of shingles you’ve chosen. (ie: Owens Corning, TAMKO, Atlas, etc.)
- Notice of Acceptance Number: This is the product approval number listed on the bottom of the form you downloaded and printed from our Product Approvalspage.
- Minimum Design Wind Pressuresare not applicable. Leave this blank.
- Maximum Design Pressure:
In the next section, we’ll work on the spaces to the right first, then move on to the spaces at the left:
- Deck Type: Typically “Wood” which includes plywood and/or tongue and groove planks. It is not necessary to be specific.
- Type Underlayment: “30# ASTM Felt”
- Insulation: “N/A”
- Fire Barrier: “N/A”
- Fastener Type and Spacing: “1 1/4″ Ring Shank Roofing Nail” or other specific size.
- Adhesive Type: “N/A”
- Type Cap Sheet: “N/A”
- Roof Covering: “shingle type Asphaltic Shingles” whereas shingle typeis 3-Tab or Dimensional depending on your choice.
- Type & Size Drip Edge: Typically “3 inch x 3 inch eve drip”, depending on your specific size needs.
The final section requires more measuring. Unless you already know the slope of your roof, you will need a 12″ bubble level and a tape measure.
- Roof Slope: Hold a 12″ bubble level so that one end is resting on your roof, and the bubble is centered and level. Next, measure from the end of the level down to the roof. This measurement will typically be between 2 and 6 inches. Please be specific to the half inch. Fill this measurement into the space provided.
- Ridge Ventilation: Only required if a ridge vent is being installed. Be specific to brand, and provide the appropriate product approval.
- Mean Roof Height: This is the measurement from the highest point on the roof, to the ground. Typically from the peak to the ground.
Disclaimer: This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.